Sunday, March 16, 2014

Tasting - Glen Ellen Proprietor's Reserve Merlot

Name: Glen Ellen Proprietor's Reserve Merlot
Variety: 100% Merlot
Region: CA
Country: United States
Year: 1997
Price: No Idea (My parents had it and didn't want it)
Winery Review:
Since I didn't buy this wine personally, I wasn't able to talk to anyone at the store about the wine.  The bottle is also a small sample bottle size so it doesn't say what to expect.

 My Review:  The wine smells strongly of berry preserves with a bit of an earthy, chocolate smell as well.  This Merlot is similar to many merlots I have had in the past.  The initial flavor of blackberry and ripe fruit fades away to a more earthy, woody aspect.  It has a medium body with a subtle tannin structure that still leaves that mouth feeling dry with an aftertaste of bitter-sweet chocolate.  For having been a Merlot aged for 17 years, it is pretty decent.  I did not try this wine with food.

No comments:

Post a Comment