Sunday, March 30, 2014

Tasting - Vina Borga Borsao

Name: Vina Borga Borsao
Variety: 100% Grenache
Region: Campo de Borja
Country: Spain
Year: 2012
Price: $6.95
Winery Review:


"Also made from 100% Grenache, the 2012 Vina Borgia was fermented and aged in stainless steel. Its medium dark ruby color is followed by abundant notes of strawberries and black cherries offered in a straightforward, medium-bodied, soft, hedonistic, round style. It is hard to believe a wine this good can sell for $7 a bottle. Enjoy it over the next 1-2 years." 86 Points – Robert Parker

 My Review: 
Very dark red color.  Strong notes of cherry, strawberry, and black cherry on the nose.  When I tasted the wine, it came across as far less fruity than it smelled.  The cherry and strawberry was there to some degree but the main thing I noticed was just the fairly thick medium texture and strong tannic structure present in the wine.  So far I have not really liked the Grenache wines I have tasted and the fact that this wine wasn't aged in oak at all didn't help much.  I tried this wine without food.

No comments:

Post a Comment